The energy strategy of Upper Austria
Upper Austria is one of Austria’s nine regions with a population of 1.4 million inhabitants. The highly industrialised region accounts for 25% of national exports.
Since the mid-90s, Upper Austria has prioritised energy effi ciency and renewable energy. Renewable energy currently supplies more than 34% of the total primary energy demand (15% biomass, 15% hydro power, 4% solar and other renewable energy sources).
The impressive share of renewables was achieved through comprehensive regional energy action plans. For 2030, Upper Austria has set the target to meet 100% of its electricity and space heat demand by renewable energy sources.
Renewable energy sources in Upper Austria
- share of renewable energy sources: 34% of total primary energy demand
- share of renewable heating: 45.6% of total heating demand
- share of renewable electricity: 77%
- investment in new installations: 210 million Euro/year
- avoided CO2 emissions: 7.4 million tons/year
- avoided imports of fossil fuels: 1 billion Euro/year
- leading solar region (0.7 m² of collector surface per inhabitant; more than 1 million m²); the target for 2030 is 3 million m² solar thermal collectors
- 27% of all modern biomass boilers installed in the European Union are manufactured in Upper Austria;biomass heating industry employs more than 4,500